Hey everyone! This is my 2nd “How-To Guide” & it’s my step by step foundation application routine that never fails me. I figure foundation is the most logical next step because with eyebrows & some foundation your’e well on your way to a perfect makeup look. Once you have this base down, everything else is a simple, optional, add on from here.
You’ll see I already had my eye makeup done as well as my eyebrows (I have an eyebrow guide already up for you guys). I always do these first to avoid eyeshadow fallout getting onto my foundation. Foundation for me also causes my eyebrow products to not apply the way I like them to so I just do it first to avoid any issues.
If you’re new to the makeup game then you need to choose a good foundation. For those of you like me, that have oily skin you can check out my post on Affordable Foundations for some good options. However, if you have dry skin aim to choose foundation that has hydrating qualities. Those that have these qualities tend to use the terms radiant, dewy & luminous in their names & descriptions.
Foundations that mattify tend to leave my face feeling a little dry/stiff initially as though they literally suck all the oil out of my pores so with dry skin, I cant imagine using one that would make my skin even more dry & extra stiff because of its mattifying qualities. If you have dry skin and still prefer the more matte look, setting your makeup with a powder & setting spray can often help achieve this after you apply your makeup.
Before applying any makeup you want to ensure you apply a moisturizer to your skin, preferably one with with some SPF (Sun Protection Factor) to protect your skin from the ultra violet rays of the sun. SPF helps prevent premature aging of the skin & skin cancer. Along with this, if you’re like me & suffer from hyper pigmentation that you’re hoping to fade then you should definitely be using sunscreen. The same way that excessive sun exposure darkens your skin it also makes any hyper pigmentation you may have get even darker. The darker the spots are the harder they are to fade so trust me, SPF is your friend. So to prep my skin I follow the steps below,
- Cleanse skin. Always start your makeup with a freshly washed face.
- Apply Moisturizer. I have been Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer for years. Even with oily skin its imperative you moisturize. You’ll combat the oily skin with your choice of products after this step.
- Prime. After your moisturizer has been absorbed into the skin, apply your favorite primer. For this demo I’m using the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Primer. I mentioned this in my post on my Ride or Die Makeup products.
To apply my foundation I use makeup sponges or brushes.
Some of my favorite brushes to use are my Sephora Pro Flawless Airbrush #56, Sephora Pro Press Full Coverage Complexion Brush #66 & Coastal Scents Flat Top Brush.
For beauty sponges I use the Beauty Blender Pro or Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge.
The following steps are exactly what I do whether I use a brush or a sponge. Some foundations however you may find give better coverage with one or the other.
- Using my CoverGirl Queen 3 in 1 All Day Flawless Foundation I put 2 pumps onto my damp (not soaking wet) Beauty Blender.
- Dab the Beauty Blender with product in areas you desire the most coverage. I dab the blender onto my cheeks and forehead.
- Use the sponge in one area at a time to evenly blend out the foundation on your skin.
- Continue to blend until the foundation is distributed evenly.
- Next I apply concealer. Using my Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof 24-hour Concealer I spot correct areas on my skin where I can still see my hyper pigmentation spots through the foundation. I go a little overboard here, sue me 🙃 lol.
- After all blemishes are spot covered with concealer I go back in with my Beauty Blender & press the product into the skin until the spot coverage is no longer visible.
- At this point your foundation is on & you’re good to go for a natural look once you use a setting powder. I use either Black Opal Translucent Deluxe Setting Powder or MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural.
To go a step beyond this for the more glamorous look you can continue to highlight & contour as I did to finish up. The next guide I’ll do for you guys will be on highlighting & contouring 😃.
Let me know how you apply foundation & what tools you use to apply in the comments below I’m always open to new tools to step up my foundation game. Also, if you have any questions at all don’t be afraid to ask, I’m here to be helpful. 🙂
Until next time my loves,
Don’t forget to like the post, comment, share & subscribe below!
Follow me on Instagram for more pictures & updates!
Hi Girl Great Post! I don’t use foundation but It was great to see how you do it!
ThnQ for sharing Girl!
Hugz Miss B.
Thank you so much hun!
You’re Welcome Darling!
Hugz, Miss B.
Amazing post! Can I ask what lip colour you’re wearing? It’s lovely! xx
Thank you so much beautiful! Its Coloured Raine – “Mars” with “Cork” lip pencil by MAC
Will be sure to look it up! xx
Great blog x
We love your blog! Keep it up
Hiya, I have nominated you for the sunshine Blogger Award! You will find the details here https://thatsalli.com/2016/11/23/sunshine-blogger-award/